It’s officially fall and ain’t it great that football season is here? I can say that this week because my team, the DAWGS, won. As relieved as I was, honestly, SC could use some positive news, what with their political leaders’ recent headlines. I could not believe how this week was exhaustingly full of grown folks behaving badly. First it was Rep. Wilson. Then it was Serena Williams. And THEN, Kanye West, but really, that doesn’t even count because he always pulls that crap. It just makes me think about that book of yesteryear, “All I Ever Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten” or something like that. Joe, Serena, Kanye, here’s a refresher: “Stay in your seat”, “If you think you’re going to talk, put your pointer finger over your mouth”, “Show respect for others.” A little self-control goes a long way, guys. Just ask a kindergarten teacher.
Speaking of kindergarten, here’s a green idea that your kids might even be interested in:
Cans for Causes is a great green program that actually does double duty (www.aluminum.org.) Collect cans to recycle, bring them to the organization to sell to the recycling center, and you’ve helped the planet as well as your organization. How cool is that? My son’s scout troop is doing this for their service project, and their cans are going to our local Habitat for Humanity. Habitat had already set things up with Cans for Causes, so we just had to pick up boxes, find a place to put them, and then collect the cans once a month. If you want to set it up from scratch, go to the website and they will walk you through it.
Some fun aluminum facts from novelis.com: (okay, maybe fun isn’t the right word… but interesting, for sure!)
Aluminum beverage cans:
- Get colder faster than any other food or beverage container.
- Can be recycled over and over and over again.
- Go from recycling bin back onto shelf at the grocery store in as little as 60 days filled with your favorite beverage.
- Are 100% Recyclable.
The Benefits of Recycling Aluminum Cans:
- Recycling one can saves enough energy to run a TV for three hours or a 100-watt light bulb for four hours.
- The energy saved each year through recycled aluminum beverage cans could light the city of Washington, D.C. for almost 4 years.
- Americans earn nearly $1 billion dollars annually from recyling aluminum cans! Think of how much could be made if everyone recycled.
Some Fun Facts about Recycling
- Over 120,000 aluminum cans are recycled every minute in the United States alone!
- Americans drink an average of 370 beverages in aluminum cans each year. Thanks to those who do recycle, the recycling rate for aluminum cans is now 50%…That’s a lot of cans!
- If Americans recycled all the aluminum they throw away it would be enough aluminum to build the entire consumer airline fleet EVERY three months!
- In 1972, 53 million pounds of aluminum cans were recycled. Today, we exceed that amount WEEKLY…Keep up the good work!
On the aluminum website, they have an article about a guy who put his 4 children through college on the money he made from recycling. They estimate about 3 bags of uncrushed cans equals about $10, depending on what aluminum is going for. So it adds up quick! If I don’t get a job soon, that will be our college savings plan!
Just thought I’d share all of this in case you guys might need a fund raiser for your organization. The kids are super excited about using the CAN CRUSHER…that would be a good WWE name, right? Also, in my research for recycling info for kids, I was underwhelmed. What are some good green websites for kids?
Got a green idea to share? Post it here so we can all benefit!
Talk to you soon!
Love yo’ Green Mama